Microvast is actively seeking an Material Engineer – Entry Level. This role is idea for soon to graduate, recently graduated, or post-docs that are interested in starting a career in battery material research. For this particular role Microvast is looking for someone with extensive experience making thin film coatings via ALD/MLD/CVD techniques for inorganic films or powders. Interfaces are one of the most important, and complicated, scientific challenges that exist in modern battery chemistries. Improving these interfaces can help extend battery lifetimes, improve battery safety, and may lower battery costs. Our hope is that whoever takes this role will grow into a subject matter expert on battery component coatings, and will be interested in transitioning their research ideas into applied, cost effective technologies for our material and cell products.
The ideal applicant has experience developing novel deposition coatings and has an electrochemical/electrocatalysis background. This is because once prepared, the coated materials must be evaluated for stability and potential electrolyte side reactions under electrochemical conditions similar to those expected in a working battery cell. The candidate will work in a multidisciplinary, and multicultural team so communication and teamwork are essential attributes for success. The applicant should be driven to see technologies worked on advance from laboratory to pilot and eventually production scales.
- Build, evaluate and execute battery technology research and development plan for company next generation products.
- Identify and help attain quotes for materials and equipment necessary for work
- Prepare documentation necessary to protect new intellectual property developed as part of your work
- Prepare reports detailing findings to supervisor / upper management
- Adhere to company and laboratory policies & procedures, in order to ensure a safe laboratory environment is maintained
- Keep up to date on recent scientific advancements relevant to field of work
- At times, role may need to supervise junior team members work
- Responsibilities may evolve and grow based on needs of company
- PhD in material science, chemistry, physics, chemical engineering or related science/engineering field
- Graduate / post-doc research related to thin film coatings via deposition methods
- Ability to set-up and maintain a thin film coating device
- Experience designing, performing, and analyzing laboratory experiments
- Candidate must be qualified to work in U.S.
- Past experience working with inorganic or polymer coatings
- Knowledge of Li-ion battery chemistry & the challenges of CEI/SEI
- Experience writing technical proposals/reports
- Experience planning and managing projects to meet technical and budget requirements
- Ability to perform and analyze materials using characterization techniques like FTIR, SEM, XRD, XPS, TEM, gas adsorption, cyclic voltammetry, EIS, etc…
- Willingness to travel once or twice a year internationally for > 2 week trips
- A strong publication record (journal articles or patents)
Location: Lake Mary, FL, U.S.A.