Microvast is actively seeking an Electrolyte Scientist. This role is ideal for post-docs or early career researchers that are interested in developing technologies for safer, longer life battery cells. Microvast has a strong history in electrolyte development, particularly for safer and fast charging applications. New battery concepts, such as ultrathin Li-metal, anode free and high voltage cathodes will all require new ideas and development if a commercial product with these technologies is to be achieved.
The ideal applicant will have experience in preparation, purification, characterization and electrochemical evaluation of battery electrolytes. To be successful in this role bold, new concepts for electrolytes (or how they are made) must be hypothesized and trialed in laboratory thru multi-Ah cells. Whoever takes this role will be hired as a subject matter expert, and will be expected to help define project concepts and targets. Electrolyte work will be done as apart of a larger, cross-discipline project comprising active material and cell experts, so good communication and a collaborative spirit is necessary to be successful in this role.
- Build, evaluate and execute battery technology research and development plan for company next generation products.
- Identify and help attain quotes for materials and equipment necessary for work
- Prepare documentation necessary to protect new intellectual property developed as part of your work
- Prepare reports detailing findings to supervisor / upper management
- Adhere to company and laboratory policies & procedures, in order to ensure a safe laboratory environment is maintained
- Keep up to date on recent scientific advancements relevant to field of work
- Help define purity requirements for electrolytes in research and product cells
- Responsibilities may evolve and grow based on needs of company
- PhD in organic chemistry, polymer chemistry, chemistry, material science, chemical engineering or other appropriate science/engineering field
- Past experience in lithium-ion or beyond Li-ion electrolyte research
- Knowledge of SEI/CEI reaction challenges for electrolyte
- Knowledge of electrochemical test methods
- Ability to characterize electrolyte formulations
- Experience designing, performing, and analyzing laboratory experiments
- Candidate must be qualified to work in U.S.
- Past experience synthesizing new battery electrolyte materials
- Experience ordering and mixing electrolyte formulations at > 1L scale
- Experience writing technical proposals/reports
- Experience planning and managing projects to meet technical and budget requirements
- Ability to perform and analyze materials using characterization techniques like FTIR, GC-MS, Karl-Fischer titration, HF titration, EIS, AAS, ect…
- Willingness to travel once or twice a year internationally for > 2 week trips
- A strong publication record (journal articles or patents)
Location: Lake Mary, FL, U.S.A.