Microvast is actively seeking a Battery Research Scientist. This role is ideal for post-docs or early career researchers that are interested in developing technologies for safer, longer-life battery cells. Microvast has a strong history in battery technology development. New battery concepts, such as ultrathin Li-metal, anode free, and high voltage cathodes will all require new ideas and development if a commercial product with these technologies is to be achieved.
The ideal applicant will have experience researching Li-ion or beyond Li-ion battery cells. Experience designing cells using new/cutting edge materials, evaluation of electrochemical results, and the study of failure modes on disassembled cells are all skills that will be particularly well suited for this role. Microvast is working to develop many novel cell components and technologies that require extensive cell testing. Whoever takes this role will be essential in helping technologies progress from research concepts to applicable technologies.
- Build, evaluate and execute battery technology research and development plan for company next generation products.
- Identify and help attain quotes for materials and equipment necessary for work
- Prepare documentation necessary to protect new intellectual property developed as part of your work
- Prepare reports detailing findings to supervisor / upper management
- Adhere to company and laboratory policies & procedures, in order to ensure a safe laboratory environment is maintained
- Keep up to date on recent scientific advancements relevant to field of work
- Maintain detailed records for cell building processing parameters
- Evaluate newly made and under ageing cells are safe to continue testing
- Responsibilities may evolve and grow based on needs of company
- PhD in chemistry, material science, chemical engineering or other relevant technical degree
- > 3 years experience in lithium metal / solid state battery research
- Experience characterizing lithium metal / solid state battery electrodes pre and post use
- Knowledge of electrochemical test methods
- Knowledge of characterization methods relevant to battery electrodes
- Experience designing, performing, and analyzing laboratory experiments
- Ability to work in cross discipline teams and communicate effectively the pros and cons of a cell technology based on work results
- Candidate must be qualified to work in U.S.
- Experience assembling solid state / Li-metal pouch cell batteries
- Knowledge of Li-ion slurry making
- Experience characterizing Ah sized cells in post analysis
- Experience/knowledge using slot-die coaters
- Experience planning and managing projects to meet technical and budget requirements
- Willingness to travel once or twice a year internationally for > 2 week trips
- A strong publication record (journal articles or patents)
Location: Lake Mary, FL, U.S.A.